- 1 Why do they call it a Barber dime?
- 2 What is a Barber dime worth?
- 3 What is the difference between a Barber dime and a Mercury dime?
- 4 What is the rarest Barber half dollar?
- 5 What’s the rarest dime?
- 6 What is a 1914 Barber dime worth?
- 7 What does dime mean?
- 8 What are the most valuable Mercury dimes?
- 9 What are the key dates for Barber dimes?
Why do they call it a Barber dime?
These are more commonly called “Barber Dimes” because of this. The coins were originally meant to be designed by the public but later taken over by Charles Barber the current Chief Engraver for the United States Mint due to financial issues.
What is a Barber dime worth?
These dimes can be valued at $4.63 if in good condition while one in extremely fine condition may fetch $135. A 1909-D, minted in Denver, may fetch nearly $100 if in extremely fine condition. A 1909-O, minted in New Orleans, may be valued around $73 if in extremely fine condition.
What is the difference between a Barber dime and a Mercury dime?
The Barber dime features a head of Liberty facing right, while the Mercury dime has a winged head of Liberty facing left. On the Barber dime the mint mark can be found on the reverse, just below the wreath.
What is the rarest Barber half dollar?
As mentioned above the 1904-S Barber Half Dollar is the rarest coin of the series to be found in uncirculated condition. 553,038 pieces were struck for circulation and it seems likely that virtually all were released into circulation shortly after their mintage.
What’s the rarest dime?
10 of the Rarest Dimes in Existence
- 1798 Large 8 Draped Bust Dime.
- 1859 S Seated Liberty Dime.
- 1874 CC Liberty Seated Dime with Arrows.
- 1798 Small 8 Draped Bust Dime.
- 1916 D Full Band Mercury Dime.
- 1894 S Barber Dime.
- 1871 CC Seated Liberty Dime Mint Condition.
- 1872 CC Liberty Seated Dime Mint Condition.
What is a 1914 Barber dime worth?
CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1914 Barber Dime value at an average of $3.00, one in certified mint state (MS+) could be worth $900. (see details) Total Produced: 17,360,000 [?]
What does dime mean?
1a: a coin of the U.S. worth ¹ /₁₀ dollar. b: a petty sum of money. 2: a Canadian 10-cent piece. 3 slang: a packet containing 10 dollars worth of an illicit drug (such as marijuana)
What are the most valuable Mercury dimes?
Most Valuable Mercury Dimes A full set including major varieties runs a little under $10,000 in XF40, but the same set with FB in the top grade of MS67 is an impressive $750,000! The most well-known varieties are the 1942/41 overdates struck at either the Philadelphia or Denver Mints.
What are the key dates for Barber dimes?
The key date of the regular issue coins is 1895-O, with a mintage of 440,000. In addition to the 1895-O, the series contains numerous semi-key dates, including 1895, 1896-O and -S, 1901-S, 1903-S, and 1904-S.