- 1 What are some fun facts about Chinese New Year?
- 2 What are three facts about Chinese New Year?
- 3 What is bad luck for Chinese New Year?
- 4 What should you not do on Chinese New Year?
- 5 What are 5 interesting facts about China?
- 6 What are Chinese New Year traditions?
- 7 Why does Chinese New Year last so long?
- 8 What do they eat on Chinese New Year?
- 9 How many days does Chinese New Year last?
- 10 What color should you not wear on Chinese New Year?
- 11 Can you take a bath on Chinese New Year?
- 12 Are oranges good luck for Chinese New Year?
- 13 Is it OK to say Chinese New Year?
- 14 What happens if you wash clothes on New Year’s Day?
- 15 What do they drink on Chinese New Year?
What are some fun facts about Chinese New Year?
Here are 21 interesting facts that you probably didn’t know about Chinese New Year.
- Chinese New Year is also known as the Spring Festival.
- There’s no set date for Chinese New Year.
- It is a day for praying to gods.
- and fighting off monsters.
- The most fireworks are set off in the world that night.
- (but sometimes it’s illegal)
What are three facts about Chinese New Year?
8 Fun Facts about the Chinese New Year
- The Date Changes According to the Lunar Calendar.
- Fireworks Are Falling Out of Favour.
- The Chinese New Year is the Longest Chinese Holiday.
- Airports Are Busy.
- Fake Families Are a Thing.
- There are Some Interesting Taboos.
- Children are Given Money.
- Foods Have Meanings.
What is bad luck for Chinese New Year?
Talking about death is inappropriate for the first few days of Chinese New Year, as it is considered inauspicious. Buying (or reading) books is bad luck because the character for “book” (書/书) is a homonym to the character for “lose” (輸/输).
What should you not do on Chinese New Year?
Chinese New Year Taboos and Superstitions: 16 Things You Should Not Do
- Avoid taking medicine.
- Don’t sweep or take out garbage.
- Don’t eat porridge and meat for breakfast.
- Don’t wash clothes and hair.
- Needlework should not be done.
- A married daughter is not allowed to visit the house of her parents.
What are 5 interesting facts about China?
10 Fascinating Facts about China
- The 3rd largest country in the World (by area)
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Toilet Paper was invented in China.
- Red symbolizes happiness in China.
- Fortune Cookies are not a Chinese custom.
- There is only one time zone in china.
- Ping Pong is China’s National Sport.
- Tea was discovered in China.
What are Chinese New Year traditions?
Chinese New Year Customs — How do Chinese people celebrate the CNY. The main Chinese New Year activities include 1) putting up decorations, 2) eating reunion dinner with family on New Year’s Eve, 3) firecrackers and fireworks, and 4) giving red envelopes and other gifts.
Why does Chinese New Year last so long?
Because it depends on the Moon, the date of Chinese New Year actually changes each year, but it will always fall some time between 21 January and 20 February. The festival starts on 12 February and lasts for up to 16 days.
What do they eat on Chinese New Year?
The most common Chinese New Year foods include dumplings, fish, spring rolls, and niangao.
How many days does Chinese New Year last?
Chinese New Year, also called Lunar New Year, annual 15-day festival in China and Chinese communities around the world that begins with the new moon that occurs sometime between January 21 and February 20 according to Western calendars. Festivities last until the following full moon.
What color should you not wear on Chinese New Year?
Everyone loves the colour black because it flatters most body shapes. Unfortunately, it is a colour that you must never wear during the new year because black is typically worn during funerals. The colour has been associated with death, depression and all sorts of inauspicious things!
Can you take a bath on Chinese New Year?
This means washing or cutting it off is seen as washing your fortune away and dramatically reduces chances of prosperity in the year ahead. Actually, LNY fundamentalists will tell you taking a shower is also off-limits on the first day for the same reason.
Are oranges good luck for Chinese New Year?
Oranges, kumquats, tangerines and pomelos are common Chinese New Year gifts because they’re believed to bring good luck and happiness. The Chinese words for “orange” and “tangerine” closely resemble the words for “luck” and “wealth.” The gold color of these fruits also symbolizes prosperity.
Is it OK to say Chinese New Year?
The name ‘Chinese New Year’ likely originated from Western countries wanting to differentiate what the Chinese celebrate as New Year with their own. There’s nothing technically wrong with calling it Chinese New Year. Or Vietnamese New Year. Or Korean New Year.
What happens if you wash clothes on New Year’s Day?
Don’t do laundry on New Year’s Day, or a member of the family will be washed away (i.e., die) during the coming year. Doing laundry on New Year’s Day will wash a year of good fortune down the drain. Don’t do laundry on New Year’s Day, or you will have more laundry than usual to do all year.
What do they drink on Chinese New Year?
The most common alcohol is Chinese white wine, or baijiu. The name comes from its clear color. Because it is usually made from fermented sorghum, it is also known as white sorghum wine.