- 1 What is the difference between a Barber dime and a Mercury dime?
- 2 Are Barber Dimes worth anything?
- 3 Why is it called a Barber dime?
- 4 What are the most valuable Mercury dimes?
- 5 What is the rarest Barber half dollar?
- 6 What is the rarest US dime?
- 7 How much is a barber silver dime worth?
- 8 What are the key dates for Barber dimes?
What is the difference between a Barber dime and a Mercury dime?
The Barber dime features a head of Liberty facing right, while the Mercury dime has a winged head of Liberty facing left. On the Barber dime the mint mark can be found on the reverse, just below the wreath.
Are Barber Dimes worth anything?
These dimes can be valued at $4.63 if in good condition while one in extremely fine condition may fetch $135. A 1909-D, minted in Denver, may fetch nearly $100 if in extremely fine condition. A 1909-O, minted in New Orleans, may be valued around $73 if in extremely fine condition.
Why is it called a Barber dime?
These are more commonly called “Barber Dimes” because of this. The coins were originally meant to be designed by the public but later taken over by Charles Barber the current Chief Engraver for the United States Mint due to financial issues.
What are the most valuable Mercury dimes?
Most Valuable Mercury Dimes A full set including major varieties runs a little under $10,000 in XF40, but the same set with FB in the top grade of MS67 is an impressive $750,000! The most well-known varieties are the 1942/41 overdates struck at either the Philadelphia or Denver Mints.
What is the rarest Barber half dollar?
As mentioned above the 1904-S Barber Half Dollar is the rarest coin of the series to be found in uncirculated condition. 553,038 pieces were struck for circulation and it seems likely that virtually all were released into circulation shortly after their mintage.
What is the rarest US dime?
10 of the Rarest Dimes in Existence
- 1798 Large 8 Draped Bust Dime.
- 1859 S Seated Liberty Dime.
- 1874 CC Liberty Seated Dime with Arrows.
- 1798 Small 8 Draped Bust Dime.
- 1916 D Full Band Mercury Dime.
- 1894 S Barber Dime.
- 1871 CC Seated Liberty Dime Mint Condition.
- 1872 CC Liberty Seated Dime Mint Condition.
How much is a barber silver dime worth?
Your Barber dime value is $3.04 to $3.55 for a common date coin in heavily worn “Good” condition. If your coin is better preserved the value increases sharply in “Extremely Fine” condition.
What are the key dates for Barber dimes?
The key date of the regular issue coins is 1895-O, with a mintage of 440,000. In addition to the 1895-O, the series contains numerous semi-key dates, including 1895, 1896-O and -S, 1901-S, 1903-S, and 1904-S.